Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Balkhis cast doubt on ANA base attack probe

Balkhis cast doubt on ANA base attack probe

By
On
May 30, 2017 - 21:16

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok):  The provincial council members and civil societyinfo-icon activists on Tuesday demanded a multifaceted probe into a last month deadly attack on an Afghan National Army base in northern Balkh province.

The public representatives reacted to removing and investigating some military officials over the April 21 attack that left more than 100 soldiers of the 209 Shaheen Military Corps dead.

Talibaninfo-icon fighters in military uniforms raided the Shaheen Military Corps base on the outskirts of Mazar-i-Sharif, the provincial capital, in an hours-long attack.

The corps officials said the Ministry of Defense had dismissed a number of military officers who were being questioned over the attack.

But Balkh provincial council chief, Afzal Hadid, told a gathering here that the MoD had not fully identified the accused officers and that they included no high ranking officer.

He urged the fact-finding commission, tasked with investigating the attack, to launch a multifaceted investigation into the massacre and inform the people about the outcome.

Balkh civil society groups association head, Hamid Sefwat, believed high ranking military officials might escape investigation in the attack due to their connections.

In their joint sitting, the provincial council members and the civil society activists expressed concern over possible denial of justice in the carnage.

Abdul Qahar Aram, 209 Shaheen Military Corps spokesman, said the incident was being investigated by a special commission and transparency was maintained in the process.

He said the investigation had not yet ended and currently 26 military officers were under investigation.  He said 10 officials of the corps, from soldier to colonel, had been transferred.

ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update