Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

7 American soldiers injured in Balkh ‘insider’ attack

7 American soldiers injured in Balkh ‘insider’ attack

By
On
Jun 17, 2017 - 18:25

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): In what appeared to be another insider attack, seven NATOinfo-icon soldiers were wounded on Saturday by an Afghan colleague in northern Balkh province.

The incident took place inside the Afghan National Army’s 209th Shaheen Military Corps garrison, said Qahar Aram, a spokesman for the corps.

He said an Afghan commando opened fire at the NATO forces, resulting in casualties. However, he did not say how many foreign troops were killed or wounded.

Meanwhile, NATO said seven US service members were wounded and evacuated for treatment after the attack at Camp Shaheen in Mazar-i-Sharif. “The attack is under investigation,” the alliance said a statement.

German and American troops are stationed in the province. The latest green-on-blue attack comes a few days after two American soldiers were killed by an Afghan soldier in eastern Nangarhar province.

Abdul Qahar Araam, spokesman for the Afghan army's 209th Corps, announced earlier that an Afghan soldier had shot and killed four US soldiers inside the base.

Talibaninfo-icon spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said foreign "invaders" were attacked by an Afghan commando loyal to the militant group, killing four and wounding four others.

The same base was the scene of a massive Taliban attack in April, in which scores of Afghan soldiers were killed.

ma

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update