Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

32 rebels perish in ongoing Balkh offensive

32 rebels perish in ongoing Balkh offensive

By
On
Jul 08, 2017 - 19:05

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): At least 32 insurgents have been so far killed and another 31 wounded during an ongoing military operation launched 10 days back in northern Balkh province, officials said Saturday.

However, residents complained the operation has forced many people to leave their homes as well as their farms has been torched during fires between the Afghan forces and the Talibaninfo-icon.

Nasratullah Jamshidi, deputy spokesman for the 209th Shaheen Military Corps in northern zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News a clearing offensive was underway in Charbolok and Chamtal districts of the province from the past 10 days.

He said 32 insurgents had been so far killed and another 31 injured during the operation. Taliban notorious commanders including Haidari, Khalid and Shinki were among the dead, he added.

Jamshidi added many militants’ hideouts had been destroyed and weapons seized during the offensive. Several landmines were also defused.

He denied any casualties to security personnel or local people.

On the other hand, local people complained many residential buildings have been destroyed during the offensives.

A resident of Bargah, Abdul Ghafar, said people from his and five other villages have fled their homes due to the conflict.

He said: “The security forces attempt to strike targets with cannons and rockets that sometimes land on wheat fields, destroying our harvests. A number of houses have also been destroyed”

Civil societyinfo-icon activists say security personnel were responsible to be careful about people’s lives and their properties during the operation.

A civil society activist, Ahmad Javed, hailed security forces’ operation against insurgents but said protection of people’s lives and their assets should be the high priority of the Afghan forces during operations.

However, the Shaheen Military Corps spokesman, Jamshidi, said the operation was ongoing with high care in order to prevent civilian casualties.

He said the rebels used people’s homes and fields as their shields. The Afghan forces are advancing and the Charbolok and Chamtal districts would be soon cleared of militants, he added.

The Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, also claimed inflicting casualties on Afghan security forces.

sns/mds

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update